Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Blessed by Generosity

So it has been a long time since I posted, and I realize that I have yet to put up pictures of any kind. Sorry about that, this won't be the first picture post... maybe in ten days when I get back from California. But I am getting ahead of myself, most of you have no idea what happened since I left Seattle.

It feels like ages ago, but I flew out on Seattle evening and arrived in Denver late at night. I had this truly ghetto suitcase that barely had wheels on the bottom and would fishtail if you tried to actually use them. Also because I had everything that I had used for the past two weeks in the suitcase it weighed 65+ pounds. It was an annoying to say the least but in my shortsightedness I thought it wasn't a big deal because I would just shove it in the back of my new car anyhow.

The next morning Sarah (my sister in law) told me that she wanted to get me a suitcase as a parting gift. If I have learned about anything in the last ten days it has been about accepting generosity. I tend to prefer to not need anyone's help. But that would be impossible with this kind of move, and thankfully everyone around me is more than willing to cover my bases for me. So that morning we went to Ross and I got a brand new suitcase which also happens to be orange zebra print (a picture is forthcoming). This suitcase is perfect on many levels, not the least of which are I will never have to check the tag for my name after I check it, it does have the lovely (standard) roller/handle thingy, and that it is orange my favorite color.

Another bit of generosity that I received before I left came from Kefi and Bryce. I don't know if it was happenstance or just that they noticed how little I had prepared for the drive down to Texas, but they handed me a GPS (Garmin) at my going away party which saved me as I drove down. Dad had gotten a bunch of maps from AAA for me but considering how new I am at driving taking my eyes off the road for that long a of a period a time seems like a bad idea. The GPS comes with a mounted stand so checking it is like checking my mirrors... it is awesome.

Beyond that, since I have arrived in Texas it has been odd to have people always providing meals and rides and everything for me. Right now I am blogging on my bosses laptop, and I haven't had to drive myself anywhere since I parked my Toyota Corolla in the driveway. My new room is nicer than any room I have ever lived in, yet I don't feel freaked out that I am going to be judged for not making my bed.

I don't even have time to say all the things that people have done for me since I left Seattle, and it is truly humbling to know that I am so cared for.

No comments: