Sunday, August 24, 2008

Conquering my fear of children

Even now after living here for about a month my living situation is not quite settled, which is a bit frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I love where I am living, but I am not yet sure that I am staying here. Right now I am living with Jason (my boss) and his wife Malia and there son Zeke. But they are living on low paying ministry salaries so they have been looking for another family to take me in. It makes me in a weird limbo space that I honestly don't enjoy. I want to be able to make my room my own, everything I own is still in boxes and suitcases, and my elaborate computer set up has not yet been reconstructed, separating me from my music.

If I am honest I would like to stay here at the Griffice's house. I am already comfortable with them as a family. They yell up the stairs, laugh, watch tv, eat, and love each other. It is has been just like home since I arrived here... but I still might be moving away, if we don't hear by next week I am going to decorate my room and hope that I just get to stay.

One of my favorite things about living in the house is Zeke. Zeke is my 3 year old housemate. He is pretty awesome. He is loud and loving and creative and if I had a son I would want him to end up exactly like Zeke. Zeke loves cars and all things that roll, and he loves sports which has been a particular joy with the Olympics being on all of the time, and he loves a new game... which is good because I don't know his old ones.

One big highlight of hanging out with Zeke is that he eats up the explanations that you give him, so we were playing a pretend game and he told me that behind the wall there was a truck and a monster. Realizing that the monster things is usually a bad thing for kids I taught him to karate chop the monster to protect himself and he didn't seem to have a problem when nap time came around.

Then today I babysat Zeke for the first time (which makes a total of 4 babysitting gigs in my lifetime). It was incredibly easy even when my original plan went out the window. You see I had planned on taking him out in the back and practicing t-ball with him (Zeke has great eye-hand coordination). But thunder and lightning rolled in and we were restricted to the house. Then I am pretty sure that the thunder started to scare Zeke so I decided to preempt the fear by talking about how thunder is cool. I am not sure that it worked completely but he seemed to be doing fine.

All in all I think that Zeke is currently conquering my fear of children with his awesomeness.

No comments: