Monday, August 18, 2008

The Twilight Zone

Many of you may not know this, but I am an incredibly optimistic person. It is by nature, go God for giving me that gift. And every once in a while I will notice a psychological tricks I play on myself to help me through tough moments. The one that I have noticed this week is connecting old friends and new acquaintances in my mind. This was happening over and over again since my arrival in San Antonio.

The first one I noticed I feel a little guilty about mentioning. I feel guilty because Liz Orrestead has had so many comparisons made with her (in the past she was compared to Jessica Lazdins). But the fact of the matter is that Liz is amazing so everyone wants to see her everywhere. And in a twilight zone sort of way I have found someone like Liz in Texas. Her name is Kaki and she is a strong christian, into social justice, and to a degree has similar facial features. It has been great to meet Kaki because if I am honest I didn't expect to find a person that seems so "Seattle" born and raised in Texas. Kaki in addition to her Liz-like qualities is vegetarian and plays ultimate frisbee on a weekly basis. I am pumped to spend the next year getting to know her.

The next twilight zone moment was in regard to a guy named Preston. It was odd because as I met him he reminded me of Donny (Sara's BF). Don't ask me why, it is something about how they both talk. This is where it gets freaky. When we were all trying to swim in a river (I say trying because the river was mostly knee deep) I found out that he was diabetic (type I) just like Donny. It's crazy... I would say that his diabetic statis prejudiced me, but I swear I connected Preston to Donny prior to learning about his intolerance to sugar. Beyond his Donny like qualities he also is an indie-rock DJ for his college station (which means that somewhere at sometime there is an indie-rock on the radio in San Antonio).  I expect to be getting lots of new music from Donny's soul brother.

Other less thrilling similarities... one of our pastor's Scott reminds me of Brad Nelson. It might have something to do with the hair, more than anything else. I have never gone to a dueling piano bar with Brad Nelson, but maybe when I come home around christmas. 

No comments: