Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Texas People

Before I left I was hanging out with Camille and complaining about all of the things that I wasn't looking forward to about Texas. At the time I was having such a great summer that I was having trouble understanding why I leaving, it seemed like a waste of so many good things. After I was done complaining about the lack of things to do and how the physical environment was going to suck (because of the lack of trees/water/mountains) Camille shared some wisdom with me. She said that because San Antonio lacked all of these other things, it would make it so that only one thing was left to focus on: Humanity. This comment has turned into a self-fulfilling prophecy. From the time that I arrived in Texas the very best part of it has been the people I have found. And since some of these people are probably going to be written about a lot I am going to introduce you all to them.

The first person that you will need to meet is my boss, Jason Griffice. He is the reason that I applied to this job in the first place so must carry much of the blame for my move. I met him two christmases ago when I went to Urbana (Intervarsity's national mission conference). He is a lot of fun and is also very approachable so I could tell from the outset that if I worked with him I would enjoy my job. His approachability was initially wrapped up in the fact that he seems like a big kid in a lot of ways. But more recently I have gained respect for his maturity. We are currently in Orange County CA, where he was raised and where is family still lives. Yesterday I got to meet both of his brothers (ages 36 and 17) and his parents (we slept at his family's house). And as we spent time with them, I noticed how Jason was attentive to the individual needs of each of his family members. This indicates a perceptiveness that can only be good for the people around him... it is going to be a good year.

I will introduce more later, but I am going to go get fish tacos at Wahoos!

No comments: