Thursday, July 3, 2008

Routes and Preparations

Last night I actually felt like I was leaving Seattle for the first time since I decided to take the job in Texas. This may seem like a belated response since I found out that I was moving to Texas during the end of March, but I feel like it is an early response for me. I am sometimes the type of person that happily functions in denial until I am past the point where I should have faced something, and then I get to look at the hard moment in retrospect. Retrospect is always easier to deal with than present or unknown realities. This method has worked in the past (I didn't feel like I was going to Croatia until I was on the plane) but this time around there are many things to be figured out before I can go so denial is not an option.

This realization spurned me to start google-mapping routes from Seattle to San Antonio. I started with a permissive attitude saying to myself that I can take my time getting there and that I can take desired detours to make the trip more entertaining/eventful. Several maps were plotted but I think that I have narrowed it down to two competing routes: Seattle to Vegas to the Grand Canyon to Albuquerque to Roswell to El Paso to San Antonio; and Seattle to Spokane to Denver to San Antonio. The first route's advantage is that I will get to see a slew of places that I have never seen before including the two that I specifically listed as goals (Grand Canyon and Roswell). The second route's advantage is that I will get to see Daniel, Sarah and Alex and I will have more places to naturally stop and hang out on the way there. The Denver Route is also shorter and cheaper than the Roswell/Grand Canyon route. So what is everyone's opinion? Which route should I take? Adventures/sight seeing or family visitation?

(Did I mention that I invite comments on this blog? Tell me what you think... Argue with me... Expand on ideas... Suggest things. That would be awesome)

Other things that need to pan out are: (1) finding someone to drive with (2) securing a car (3) closure about leaving everything I know behind. If you can help with any of that also feel free to comment.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, most likely you have a car secured, your trip is now shorter and planned out AND you get to see your dear brother & fam :)
I know that it must be hard to think of leaving. It was hard last year when I had to think of moving to Denver. But change can be really good and exiting. It'll be an adjustment, but the advantage for you is that you are going to an environment where you will automatically meet people and that should help. Try to think of it as an adventure, a temporary absence from Seattle. :) Hope that helps in some strange way.

Nee Nee said...

Rachel - I am so envious of your new adventure! All my life - well - up until 21 years ago - I travelled here there and everywhere with family and husband - and loved the adventures and meeting new folks and discovering new places. I have been settled now in NC for the past 21 years and I am more than ready to move on and start discovering again. Alas my responsibilities leave me here for now - so go towards your adventure and take me with you in spirit! Know you are in my heart, prayers and love! Anita

K. Andersen said...

When are you leaving again? If you need a second driver and the trip isn't too long maybe just maybe...