Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rest Stop of Champions

For those of you that don't know already I have settled on getting to San Antonio (henceforth S.A.) by way of Denver. It turns out that I am buying my brother's Toyota Corolla which means the parental unit are conveniently driving my stuff half way to S.A. next week and I am flying to Denver on August 5th. At this location I will hang out with Daniel, Sarah and Alex for a couple days and then drive down to my future home. Which all in all will be cheap, fast and plausible, which the other plans lacked (mostly because I didn't have a car yet). So I am thrilled to have some of the knuts and bolts figured out so that I can plan the more exciting portions of my trip.

The exciting portion that I figured out today was where I am going to sleep after my first day of driving. The trip from Denver to S.A. is about 16 hours meaning for a newbie driver like me that I need to take two days to do it. I will be going alone with the new transportation plan and I was looking at googled route to S.A. and saw no town names that I recognized which didn't feel promising for stopping over for the night. Then, just because it was a dream of mine from early in the road trip plan, I tried setting Roswell New Mexico as the interum location. And what do I discover? Roswell is 7 hours and 47 minutes away from Denver and 8 hours and 8 minutes away from S.A. I don't know if things could work out more perfectly.

After discovering my amazing reststop I also looked up the sights that I can see down in Roswell. There are apparently several tourist traps to grab my attention. The International UFO Museum And Research Center is apparently rather sub-par, but I will go anyhow so that I can say that I did. There is also another spot where I can pose with life size alien dioramas. The best one described is the alien autopsy where I can pose holding a bloody surgical tools. There is also apparently an internal city conflict between the pro-alien and anti-alien Christians. The anti-alien Christians (Alien Resistance) apparently believe that the aliens are biblical demons. A different pro-alien pastor is not so anal and owns an alien themed business in town. I just hope I can get both an Alien Resistance bumper sticker as well as some sort of pro-alien bumper sticker. More info at http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11159 for those intrigued.

In other news, Scotti gave me a good idea for something to do in Denver when I visit Daniel and Sarah... Apparently Denver is where Chipotle originated, one of the few places I think I could eat for a month straight and not get tired of. So I am going to track down the original restraunt and eat there. If anyone else has travel suggestions en route send them my way.

No comments: