Saturday, March 7, 2009

Job Searching

I am in an artificially optimistic state currently because I have a job that does not end for a couple months, and I have yet to be rejected... because I only just started applying. I am trying hard to not let the optimism lull me into complacency. But I will share my optimism with you first so that we can all be happy when something works out. I am currently split pretty 50/50 between the idea of staying in Texas and moving to Washington D.C.

Staying in Texas for another year is in the mix because I want to smooth over the transition between the interim director and the new director whoever that may be. I am a big believer in leaving well when you exit a position and if I stayed through next year I could make sure that the Well and the Fire are in a more stable state before moving on. I am in the position where I know both campuses and many of the students well and I feel that it would be an awesome use of my time. The upside: I love my job (even though it frustrates me sometimes), I know the students, and Nancy would probably let me live with her for an extra year (we get along really well). The downside: my position may not exist next year for budget reasons (if they cut the position I agree with their choice) so half of my heart is hoping for a job that may not be there.

The other half of me wants to move to Washington D.C. to do a year long internship with Sojourners (a magazine connected to Jim Wallis the author of God's Politics). This job seems beyond appropriate for me because it combines three areas that I have expertise: 1. writing (I have a degree in English), 2. Christianity (I am working for a church), and 3. progressive politics (I interned for the ACLU). The job starts in September and goes through August 20th 2010 and it includes: housing, food, medical insurance, and transportation in the city. Admittably I would have to sell my car to pay my student loans, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the experience and connections I would get from the internship. Upside: A bunch of friends are clustering in DC next year so it would be a party, I might see Barrack Obama, I would be able to sit in on Congressional hearings and supreme court cases. Downside: I would have to sell my car and there are only 9 spots for a whole country's worth of applicants. Still I checked the box that they could send my applications to others so perhaps something will come of it. My friends who know about it agree that I seem like the perfect candidate, but I do not know if that is going to be enough these days.

In both of these cases my summer would still need to be filled with something. So I am currently looking in to internships with several NGOs that I know about. Today I applied to the TOMS Shoes summer internship program, the start and end dates are perfect if I end up getting the Sojourners internship. If both TOMS and Sojo worked out I would know that it was God setting me off in a direction. Otherwise the summer would probably be spent in Seattle doing some sort of work and hanging out with my friends. I am excited for Aarhead's upcoming wedding... as well as Josh and April's wedding and Sasquatch (I bought a 3 day pass last weekend). I am going somewhere, just don't ask me my end goal... I don't know.

Miss you all, I enjoyed the random phone conversations this week, thanks keeping me company while I walked Duke. LOVE.

No comments: