Friday, September 5, 2008

Cracked-Heal

So last night Kate Maxwell was visiting because she is driving to Princeton with Bianca, and I discovered that I was homesick. I also discovered that retrospectively I have been homesick before and hadn't even realized it. When I was on Deputation in Croatia I got homesick right about a month into the trip. It is sort of comforting and sort of not comforting to recognize the pattern. You see, I think that I go through stages whenever I arrive at a new place. First I am in input mode. Where I am friendly but quiet as I try to get a sense of what things are like here. Throughout all of this time I am analyzing what is happening, which really means that I am being critical and over-thinking things. Then after I have done that for about a month... throughout which I have attempted to stay incredibly positive and appreciate the good things in the new place that I am at. I realize that I have been ignoring and not fully recognizing how bothered I am by the crappy, annoying, bad things that have been sprinkled in the middle. At this point I get broken. 

I don't say broken lightly. This is the problem with not taking both things at once I suppose. I have used up all my resilience in the first month and by the end of it I feel incredibly raw. It is like a cracked heel... everything is fine until the skin breaks and then you realize it has been wearing down for a while and now it is going to take a time to heal. 

Yesterday I cracked when I started talking to Kate. I am house sitting and she came and spent the night with me while Bianca stayed at the Griffice's. She was asking me how Texas was going, and despite wanting to sing its praises that is not where I am at right now. Right now I am at the stage where I really wish that people around me would get me without anything else. I think this is a side effect of living in one place all your life and then moving to a place that could not be more opposite. I see these opposite things and they are wrong to me. But more importantly I see these opposite things and I start to feel opposite.

So at this point, all the the people here understand about me is that I am quiet and friendly. But because I put up a wall, they don't know my opinions, my sense of humor, my fears, or that I desperately need someone that I am just myself with. And I because of all my analysis, have convinced myself that if I do show people that they just won't get me. 

But from the beginning to the end this is my problem. I am the person that is doing the judging and I am the person that doesn't let them get to know me. So at this point I feel somewhat ready to change these things, but unfortunately I think it is going to express itself by me crying in front of someone who is practically a stranger. And I am not a public crier. But at this point I don't think holding it in is an option anymore.

5 comments:

Sara T said...

Hey Rachel, I got your letter yesterday and will be responding very soon in hopes of alleviating the tiniest bit of homesickness. Remember, while you're half-way across the country building character and having new experiences, I'm sitting inside all day studying. And watching Grey's Anatomy, pretending they're my friends.

Amy Dittmar said...

AHH RACHEL i love you. i feel for you, and i hope there's comfort in knowing that you're not alone. being a visual person, i think of times like this as a train that is trying to get going from a stand still. it sucks, but with a little more time life will be roll'n right along. Jesus is right by your side and in your heart, don't for get about Him. He hasn't forgotten about you. Opening up to someone is scary, i totally get that. I'll definitely be praying for yah that a Rachel–buddy comes along. A buddy that you can chat it up with! Speaking of which we should talk soon, I'll call you today or tomorrow :D

K. Andersen said...

Hey you. Call me back and we'll talk soon. I miss you terribly, and know that when you show people you, they won't be able to resist the Rachel personality. What's not to like after all? You are one of my favorite people in all the world, with the most witty and exciting outlook of anyone I know. It is only a matter of time before everyone around you notices too!
LOVE!
Kefi

Camille said...

ahhhh rachel, i had the same experience when i came to seattle and it definitely ended up with me crying hysterically to a stranger (who thankfully became a best friend) without much articulation. but it felt SO good, for at least one person to know who i really was. i am excited for you to show yourself to those texans...they are in need of rachel lewis and rachel lewis is what they will get. Please don't worry about being too opinionated, too vocal, too much in general because you are just enough. your strength in what you believe is your strength and God will no doubt use it to challenge those around you. you might feel like your team is not there to back you up because we will not be in those conversations in TX but we are only a phone call away. and i will call a random to tell them how right you are, no problem. ahaha. love you girl, let me know how the unveiling goes.

Linnellie said...

Aw, Rachel, I'm so sorry that you're feeling like this. I want you to know though that I'm proud of you for going out on a limb and going on this adventure. I also want to encourage you to open up and definitely show them the real you. You are one of a kind and I absolutely love you and your personality and it makes me sad that you think that they would reject or dislike the real you. They'll love you for you. :) I'm here if you want to talk. Love you and miss you, Rachel!